Write a 2–3-page paper in which you:
- Explain the goals of criminal law and why these goals are still important today.
- Explain the connection between state police power and the limitations of this power imposed by the Constitution.
- Identify the differences between state and federal jurisdiction, when it comes to criminal law, and what is meant by due process of law.
- Describe the manner in which the four goals of criminal law are met by requiring and proving both a mental element and physical act beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Use at least three high-quality academic references. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
- Write clearly and concisely in a manner that is grammatically correct and generally free of spelling, typographical, formatting, and/or punctuation errors.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Analyze criminal law, police power, the goals of criminal law and culpability/liability